Well removing the extra <host> element from my server.xml fixed the problem and I now only have the one Background thread I intended. You are right, less resources consumed. I am not sure where I got the idea I needed:

 <Host name="southchurch.ath.cx"  appBase="webapps"
         unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
     </Host>

Probably read it as an example in a book.

Christopher Schultz wrote:
Yup: you have two <Host> elements pointing to the same deployment
directory. All of your webapps are being deployed one for each <Host>.
Thus, you get two of them.

It is. If your thread has a "please die" boolean that it checks, you should
simply set that and allow the thread to finish on its own.
This is what I do and it works fine now.  The thread dies very fast.

-d