Hi,

At the company I work we are doing this for a couple of years already with
Tomcat 4, 5 and now 6. Works very well. And makes threaddumps more easy to read.

A filter is very ease to make.

public class ThreadNameFilter implements javax.servlet.Filter {

public void doFilter(ServletRequest req, ServletResponse resp, FilterChain fc)
throws IOException, ServletException {
  HttpServletRequest httpReq = (HttpServletRequest)req;
  final Thread curThr = Thread.currentThread();
final String oldName = curThr.getName(); try {
     curThr.setName(httpReq.getRequestURI());
     fc.doFilter(req, resp);
  } finally {
     curThr.setName(oldName);
  }