Rainer Jung-3 wrote:

> On 12.05.2009 23:26, orahi001 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have apache web server running on one box as a proxy server
>> tomcat running on another box.
>>
>> The apache server connects to application server (tomcat) via proxy
>> passthru
>> parameter. The server running tomcat was recently rebooted.  When it came
>> back up I started tomcat but I can no longer connect to my web
>> application
>> over http.  I'm getting a proxy error in my browser window: error reading
>> from the remote server.  The apache log shows the same message.
>>
>> On the server running tomcat, netstat -a shows the port running tomcat
>> changes to a state of close_wait.
>>
>> however, if I telnet to the port (8980) from the server running apache I
>> can
>> connect and the port shows a state of established.
>>
>> Any ideas as to why I can no longer reach my web application?
>> Whats causing this close_wait state?
>
> CLOSE_WAIT is when the remote side of a connection closed it.
>
> It seems your proxy tries to reuse an existing connection tha doesn't
> work any more. So have a look at how to configure the proxy connection
> pools, using timeouts etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,

thanks for the reply,

I don't understand how the proxy connection would have changed.  Nothing has
changed in the config files.  I added the following in the httpd config file
and also increased the timeout in the tomcat config file.

SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1

Still seeing the same results