Michael,

On 5/21/2009 1:02 PM, Michael A. Repucci wrote:
> I'm pretty new to Tomcat, and very unfamiliar with JSP or web applications
> in general. I've been trying to set up an application on my system (Ubuntu
> 9.04) that works just fine on my colleagues' systems (Windows XP). I've got
> Tomcat 5.5 working just fine (Sun JVM 1.5.0, Apache 2.2), and the manager
> and demo applications all work. But loading our application is giving me the
> following errors.
>
>  Starting filter 'UTF8Filter'
> Exception starting filter UTF8Filter
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/Filter

My first guess is that you've got multiple copies of servlet-api.jar in
your class path. Make sure you don't have anything that looks like
yourwebapp/WEB-INF/lib/servlet-api*.jar in there. You should only have a
single copy of servletapi.*.jar anywhere related to Tomcat, and it
should be in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/servlet-api.jar.

> I also get errors in the file catalina.2009-05-18.log (see below).

> SEVERE: Error registering
> Catalina:type=Valve,name=StandardContextValve,path=/neuroanalysis,host=localhost
> javax.management.MBeanException: Cannot instantiate ModelMBean of class
> org.apache.commons.modeler.BaseModelMBean

[snip]

> Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
> (java.io.FilePermission
> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/neuroanalysis/WEB-INF/classes/logging.properties
> read)

It looks like you're running Tomcat under a "security manager" which
basically means that you need to explicitly allow your webapp to read
certain resources. It's odd that your webapp can't read a file out of
its own classes directory, though.

All of these errors were the same as shown above. Then, there's this:

> May 18, 2009 3:03:25 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> findResourceInternal
> INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
> already.  Could not load logging.properties.  The eventual following stack
> trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging purposes as well as to
> attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access, and has no
> functional impact.

If you ignore the confusing statement about the "following stack trace"
when the stack trace has already been emitted, you can see that Tomcat
is having trouble loading your logging.properties file.

The simplest thing you can do is check to see what the file permissions
are on that file. I suspect they are in order.

The next thing you should do is read all about Security Manager use in
Tomcat: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/security-manager-howto.html

You're most interested in the "file permissions" stuff. You may have to
play with this a bit to figure out how to get it to work. I'm still
confused as to why it would be failing in the first place...