Christopher Schultz wrote:

George,

On 5/28/2009 3:59 PM, George Sexton wrote:
The issue is the default character set for Java. I've noticed that at
least at one point in time, the default character set for Java running
under windows was Windows-1252. Running under Linux it defaults to
ISO-8859-1.

That's a bold statement.
Clearly you missed the part "AT ONE POINT IN TIME". On my systems, when I was trying to figure it out at one point in time, that's what I saw.

In short, there's no simple answer. You have to figure out step by step
where things are going wrong, and then address those issues.

+1

1) Default Charset on each platform.

- -1
Figuring out the default on different platforms is step 1 of understanding you have a problem. There's a difference between someone telling you that there's a problem, and seeing it. Fully understanding the problem is a growth point that will prevent it from happening again.

4) Charset of pages. Do the pages explicitly set the encoding to UTF-8?

+0 : UTF-8 isn't the only game in town, but it's the only one worth
playing :)
Unicode of some sort is the only thing that makes sense if you're going to have support for more than one character set. If you use something like one of the ISO encodings then you're tied to English, and whatever language the encoding is for. If you try to add a third language that uses a different encoding, you're hosed.
I would also check the system you're on /for the browser/. I had a
problem where one machine could properly render Chinese characters while
another one couldn't: the server was 100% correct but the client was
failing to display them properly. There's nothing the server can do
about that!
I've seen this many years ago, but not recently (5 years or so).

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.