Hello All,

something strange happened to our tomcat 5.5 instance running on RHEL Linux.

Suddenly we began getting the exception listed below written out to the
catalina.out log.  It was repeated approx 4 million times w/in a couple
of hours until it filled up the file system and hung tomcat.  This is a
pretty standard setup.  Requests come into apache and then a ProxyPass
forwards onto tomcat. Apache has a directive like the following for each
context:

ProxyPass /gdsg               ajp://localhost:8009/gdsg

Can someone please help to to understand what might cause such an
exception?  Is there a good way to see the files tomcat has open?  I'm
not sure that a simple "lsof -u tomcat" will show them all.

Thanks so much for the help!

--john

Jun 1, 2009 6:19:07 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket acceptConnections
WARNING: Exception executing accept
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:384)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:450)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:421)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.accept(ChannelSocket.java:312)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.acceptConnections(ChannelSocket.java:666)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketAcceptor.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:876)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:685)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)