It looks to me like the change fixes an NPE when a null or nonsense
password is given. The NPE would allow an attacker to determine if a
username is valid (without having to know the password). Not the most
serious security breach, but login protocols aren't supposed to let
you guess usernames.
--
Len

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:48, Christopher