Thanks again Rainer,

Your seccond two points were covered in my initial mail containing the test code

<orig-quote>
I am pretty sure that the issue is with the shell, and have been using the code below to test all sorts of combinations of values for OPTS - the only way I can get the arg to print on one line is to quote $OPTS when it is expanded, which obviously will not work if there are any other options required in CATALINA_OPTS.
</orig-quote>

exec is not included in my example, as tc 6.0.16 does not include it when it "start"s only when it "run"s.

Thanks again, catalina.properties it is.
Bap.

Adding to what André explains: the following small script shows a
working procedure:

#!/usr/bin/ksh

OPTS=-DXXX="a b"

# or alternatively
# OPTS="-DXXX=a b"

exec /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/bin/java "$OPTS" myprog

What is important here:

- the original variable including the system property is used on the
commandline, no intermediate expansion or adding other tokens to the
same variable

- there is only one system property in the variable. You cann add the
non-problematic ones to the standard variable, or if there are multiple
properties with spaces, use multiple aditional variables.

- The quotes aroung $OPTS in the line starting java. They are used, so
that the shell passes the whole of $OPTS as one argument to the java
process.

The exec is only there, because it is done like that in the standard script.

Regards,

Rainer