AccessLogValve cannot log until the request is "done". Done meaning that the Servlet is done writing its content.

So AccessLogValve can execute once the Servlet is done writing. It may (or may not) mean the client has yet received all the content since the OS might do some buffering. The outputBuffer with a default of 8k is unrelated to this topic.

-Tim

William Milbratz wrote:
Hi all,
Pardon me if this seems an ignorant question. I’ve recently discovered the %D option in the tomcat
AccessLogValve to record response times on the “server side”.
I wanted to doublecheck an issue: does the user’s network
connection speed affect the time recorded by the AccessLogValve.
Initially I thought that this time is “pure server side”. Then as I considered TCP/IP socket details (and my
ignorance), as well as  where/when
buffering takes place in the Tomcat/Coyote stack,  I thought I should dig a bit
deeper.
I’ve delved into the tomcat source (5.5) but didn’t get
terribly far.  I do know that the coyote
“outputBuffer” has a default 8K buffer size, but don’t know if classes farther
up the stack has more buffering .