Hello there! We are adding a new server to our park, and now we are
going to use LB for both machines. We are using an Alteon 180e layer 7
switch to perform LB. So far everything was fine. But we decided to
let the router do all the SSL part this way we would have something
like this:

[internet] --SSL:443---> [router] ---http:80---> [tomcat]

The first problem we faced was within some applications that were
using the <transport-guarantee>confidential </transport-guarantee>
directive, and so tomcat was redirecting them to the 8443 connector
which was disabled.

We removed this directive, and configure a rule on the router that
would accomplish the same thing, whenever an user tried to access a
page using http it would be redirected to https. Now we are facing a
problem with the redirect of some struts apps. Instead of redirecting
to the https they redirect to the http (I can understand why, since
the app is really being accessed by http port not https), I know this
might be a struts/app design problem.

I just would like to hear from you guys, if we are moving toward the
right way by leaving all the SSL part on the router. I could not find
one single doc about layer 7 LBs and tomcat around the web. Does any
one have a good tutorial/starting point?

Best Regards