Hi, Steve and Chris.

        Steve, can you use AJAX to request a protected resource and to provide
username/password to your real login page (configured at web.xml) or
directly to j_security_check ?
        I don't know if this will work (and if this is what you have in mind),
but:

        1. Design your "unprotected" pages at your will (including a small
login box);
        2. When user fills the form in your small login box,
                - Send a JS XmlHttpRequest (AJAX) to a protected resource (for
instance protected_resource.jsp);
                - Send a JS XmlHttoRequest to your real login page (login.jsp)
or to
j_security_check passing j_username and j_password extracted from your
small login page (you can detect if login has failed or not using the
response of XmlHttpRequest) ;
                - If is all right, reload the page or load any other resource
that you
want.

        Will it work ?

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 08:41 -0400, Steve B. wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Thanks, yes, a "drive-by login" is what I am after. I am bummed that
> Tomcat does not support this - it seems the common setup on most sites I
> visit on the Net. (I suppose it is more accurate to that say I am bummed
> that the J2EE standard does not define this behavior as Tomcat is only
> implementing those rules.)
>
> I agree with your view of isUserInRole() - but this is a large
> application which I am loathe to change everything.
>
> I will check out the packages you mention or role my own security using
> a filter or similar.
>
> Thanks again for the response!
>
> Steve B.
>

> Christopher Schultz wrote:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
 that my child may have peace."

Thomas Paine