> From: Bob Marcum [mailto:bmar...@bcscomputers.com]
> Subject: Seeking the right solution to
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
>
> That would mean code directly in my app could see all the
> jar files in WEB-INF/lib but hibernate code, for instance,
> could not ?? !!

Depends on where the Hibernate jar is located.  If you've put that in the
webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory, you shouldn't have a problem.  If you've placed
the Hibernate jar in some other location, you will need to put the MySQL jar in
the same place.

> A solution I found to work is to copy the mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-
> bin.jar file into my jseHOME/jre/lib/ext directory.

Be very, very careful if you copy jars - in this case you want to move it, not
copy it.  Having the same jar in multiple locations on a given branch of the
classloading tree will result in never ending errors.  If your Hibernate jar is
in jre/lib/ext, then, it's likely you will have to put the MySQL jar there.
The Hibernate jar really belongs with your webapp, not in any more global
location.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.