So in effect I'm deferring all interaction w/ RAM to be at request time and
not startup time correct?

I guess I could even take it one step further (and easier to implement I
think) where I build some static singleton initializer that manages an "am I
loaded properly" flag and if not, loads its data (This is the RAM
interaction) otherwise just handle the request normally.

It adds an extra check but checking if( ApplicationStatus.IS_LOADED ) isn't
such a big deal in the long run.

That is unless we're not talking the same thing here.  :)