hello,I found this in the servlet specification:
"
• The deployment descriptor lists the following welcome files.
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>default.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>
• The static content in the WAR is as follows
/foo/index.html
/foo/default.jsp
/foo/orderform.html
/foo/home.gif
/catalog/default.jsp
/catalog/products/shop.jsp
/catalog/products/register.jsp
• A request URI of /foo will be redirected to a URI of /foo/.
• A request URI of /foo/ will be returned as /foo/index.html.
• A request URI of /catalog will be redirected to a URI of /catalog/.
"
which matches what David said.