On Jul 23, 2009, at 4:00 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
2009/7/22 Rémy Maucherat <remy.mauche...@gmail.com>:
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Mark Thomas<ma...@apache.org> wrote:
You'll need to provide more details. Nothing stands out from the security pages.

Please provide step by step instructions to reproduce from a clean Tomcat
installation.

Please also note that potential security vulnerabilities should be reported privately (see http://tomcat.apache.org/security.html), rather than to a public list. Since you have posted to a public list, there is no point continuing in
private.
I don't think the host is used in HTML generated by Tomcat. OTOH, like the other strings returned by the API, ServletRequest.getServerName is
not XSS filtered.

At least, if there are concerns about that, there is a workaround:

you can specify proxyName attribute on a <Connector> element in server.xml

In that case the one that is in request will be ignored.

Documentation is here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/ajp.html

For the record, private mail with more detail has indicated that this is an issue in an application deployed to Tomcat, rather than Tomcat itself. The issue
has been forwarded to the appropriate folks to be dealt with.

I am glad that this was discussed in public.

We make use of getServerName, and in most cases it is filtered appropriately. However, for completeness, we are looking at all uses of this method.

Regards,
Dave

Mark