If I remember write, this file has all the mount directives for various
webapps hosted by tomcat.  It might have even been auto-generated in
your tomcat 5.5 environment by the tomcat service.  I would migrate the
stuff in workers.properties to their equivalent in apache httpd config
files and drop the reference from jk.conf.

--David