Thanks for the answer. Here's a list of all the jars that i include:

activation.jar
antlr-2.7.6.jar
c3p0-0.9.1.2.jar
commons-beanutils-1.8.0.jar
commons-codec-1.3.jar
commons-collections-3.2.1.jar
commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar
commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
commons-io-1.4.jar
commons-lang-2.4.jar
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
dom4j-1.6.1.jar
ejb3-persistence.jar
ezmorph-1.0.6.jar
gwt-maps.jar
gwt-reverse-geocoder-1.0.8.1.jar
gwt-servlet.jar
gwt-user.jar
hibernate-annotations.jar
hibernate-commons-annotations.jar
hibernate-testing.jar
hibernate3.jar
javassist-3.4.GA.jar
json-lib-2.2.3-jdk15.jar
jstl.jar
jta-1.1.jar
log4j.jar
mail.jar
mysql-connector-java-5.0.5-bin.jar
sanselan.jar
slf4j-api-1.5.2.jar
slf4j-log4j12.jar
spring-webmvc.jar
spring.jar
standard.jar

I'm not sure if they duplicate things from the servlet-api.jar.

David Smith schrieb:
What jars are in your webapp?  Did you include any that might duplicate
those distributed in the servlet-api.jar file?

--David

Paul van Hoven wrote:
I just rented a server for providing an internet service. Before, i
developped the application on my local machine which is running mac os
x leopard. I also installed tomcat for testing my application. After
creating a war file i place the webapp in the CATALINA_HOME/webapps
folder on my local machine. After starting tomcat i can access the
webapp on http://localhost:8080/myapp. It runs fine and everything
works as expected. I also include all the necessary jars in the
WEB-INF/lib folder.

Okay so far so good, now, i copied the war file (that actually runs
fine on my local machine) to the server into the folder
CATALINA_HOME/webapps, as it should be done. Then, i start tomcat
6.0.20. The webserver starts fine and accessing it by entering
http://www.myaddress.com:8080 the tomcat welcome page is greeting. I
switch into the manager and it tells me that my app is loaded. But
when i click on the link to the deployed webapp i get an error 500 and
the following exception is thrown:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error allocating a servlet instance

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
   java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
root cause

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
   java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
   java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:637)

Actually i do not understand this. The environment variables are set
as follows:
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/bin# ./startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/bin

But i also set the variables explicitly in my .bashrc by
export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20
export CATALINA_BASE=/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20

I start tomcat with root privileges. Every other app like the ones in
http://www.myaddress.com:8080/examples/servlets/ are working fine.
What is causing this problem?