Eric B. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to read all the threads relating to which connector is
> "best" to use  HTTP (no SSL).  I am planning to use Pound as an HTTP load
> balancer in front of Tomcat as I have no need for all the bells and whistles
> that Apache provides and Pound is fast and light.
>
> From what I've been reading through all the threads here is that the JIO
> connector is the oldest and the most stable.  The APR connector is basically
> the same connector that is used in Apache httpd, so using the APR connector
> would, in theory, give me the same performance as though I was using httpd.
> Finally, the NIO is the latest addition to the Tomcat family that gives you
> the benefits of a fully java non-blocking connector, and should perform
> similarly to the APR connector for HTTP but be more sluggish on HTTPS.
> Addtionally, given that NIO is the most recent, it doesn't have as much
> "experience" as APR or JIO.
>
> That being said, I was leaning towards using the NIO connector for my
> installation.  However, I was pretty surprised and shocked when reading
> "Tomcat - The Definitive Guide 2nd Edition" by Jason Brittain (O'Reilly
> Press), that the JIO was the fastest and most responsive when service small
> text files and 9k images.
> (http://books.google.ca/books?id=vJttHyVF0SUC&pg=PA148&lpg=PA148&dq=tomcat+nio+advantage&source=bl&ots=i_8ssSnNf3&sig=MWgnLmZquhONBLLc5ivHQ6F61_Y&hl=en&ei=vwiDSsLgLMeltge4ianFCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=tomcat%20nio%20advantage&f=false
>
> pp.138-148).   In fact, their published benchmarks should that the JIO was
> fastest, followed by APR, followed by NIO.  Could that be attributed to
> configuration parameters for the individual connectors?
>
> That seems pretty contrary to everything I've read on this list to date.
> Can anyone shed some light on this descrepancy?

That just proves that one can construct a load test to show pretty much
whatever you like.

Your analysis above is pretty much spot on. The only thing I would add
is that hard numbers are highly dependant on the environment and on your
app. The only way to know for sure is to do lots of testing.

Mark