Aaron Aberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Linux CentOS with Plesk 9.2.1, Tomcat 5.5 and Solr 1.3.0. I
> installed the solr war file through the plesk control panel but it
> doesnt start up. The logs reveal that solr/home property needs to be
> set before it can be started up. After some googling, I found out that
> I could set the property in web.xml in the war file. This didn't seem
> to work for me.
>
> When I was first playing with solr, it was on a Windows machine and
> its very simple to set this property. You can do it through the tomcat
> service system tray application. However, I am using Linux now and I
> believe that I need to set this option in JAVA_OPTS. I have seen a
> bunch of examples where someone will export the variable etc and then
> run the catalina.sh command. I can't do that. I need to start and stop
> the service via plesk.
>
> This is what I'm thinking. I see in /etc/passwd that the tomcat user
> has a default path of /usr/share/tomcat5. I'm wondering if I could put
> a .bashrc file in that directory and set the option there. Would that
> work? Does anyone have an idea as to how I can solve this problem?
>
> By the way the option should be something like:
> JAVA_OPTS=-Dsolr.solr.home='/usr/share/tomcat5/solr'
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Aaron

So ... what I'm reading is you are starting tomcat as a service.  In
that case, there should be a script in /etc/init.d for starting/stopping
tomcat.  Take a look at that.  If the settings aren't in there, the
script may have comments pointing you in the right direction.  I don't
think the .bashrc will work because the tomcat account is probably
disabled.  That's the way all accounts used by linux/unix services are
for security reasons.  There is no interactive login to run a .bashrc
file from when tomcat starts or stops.

--David