Gagan Malik wrote:
this is exactly the problem.. how do I generate a private/public key pair for
the user 'tomcat'..

A bit guessing here..
Your problem may be due to the fact that you cannot login as user "tomcat" to create its keys, because the user "tomcat" is disabled (not allowed to login) on your platform.
In that case, you would have two solutions :
- either temporarily enable the user tomcat for logins (probably just a matter of changing its /etc/passwd line), create your keys, then disable it again (more secure) - or run Tomcat under another user. You'll need to change a bunch of permissions, but as far as I know nothing forces Tomcat (the server) to run under any particular user, and certainly not one named "tomcat".