Hello,

The deployment approach currently used for web application and enterprise application is slightly annoying. If I deploy five applications to a servlet engine, I will package the same libs 5 times and copy them to my server. Packing them into the shared library folder of the application server is not a solution to this problem but a workaround with a lot of unwanted consequences.

My proposal is to just allow adding a simple text file into the lib folder of WAR or EAR archives instead of adding jar files. This file describes which libs, the application server should load from a local directory or an HTTP connection when starting the application.

Here is a sample content of such a libraries.properties file. Optionally a system variable can be used as well.
${java.repository}/foo.jar
${java.repository}/bar.jar
${java.repository}/bazz.jar
file://home/bar/manualcopied.jar
htt://anotherserver/xyz.jar

Jars are no longer included with the application but I basically fill a repository on my server using Maven or Apache Ivy or copy and paste. Then I reference those libraries in the libraries.properties file.

What do you think about the idea?

As reference, I published the idea on my blog.
http://www.laliluna.de/blog/2009/08/21/better_java_application_packaging_jsr_277_java_module_system.html

I posted this message to the Jetty user list as well.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----
Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
http://www.laliluna.de