The reason why I have the mount directives so open is because I am
using Stripes with no prefix or suffix mappings on the actions
(servlets). JSPs are handled internally (every page is served via an
action), so the urls don't have a specific pattern (/servlet, /action,
.do, etc) that can be isolated for the mount directives. It could
handle it with a minimum amount of configuration and keeps urls very
clean so I went with this.

As for the differences in configuration between the two web servers -
the old one uses servlets with a specific mapping (/servlets/* &
/*.jsp) for the mount directives and is using a much older mod_jk, the
new one is open (no specific mappings) and uses the latest mod_jk. The
apache config is the same.

My concern is why I now need the unmount directives where I didn't
need them before. Is this due to the new version of mod_jk and that's
just how it behaves, or because I have a very open mapping for the
mount directives, or something else I'm just not seeing.

Given that I have a configuration that seems to be somewhat correct
and returning the right results, I'm not hugely concerned. I just like
to know why things behave the way they do so that I roughly know what
to expect if I have to change something later :)

Chris