Hi,

I have a Debian machine where previously, Tomcat 5.5 was installed (using the Tomcat 5.5 Debian package). "uname -a" returns:

Linux server02 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 26 20:35:48 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Now, for some reason I installed Tomcat 6 by using the binary distribution of Tomcat 6.0.20 downloadable from the website (because there's no Debian package for Tomcat 6 yet). I copied over the configuration files: logging.properties, server.xml, tomcat-users.xml and everything works fine except SSL.

The server listens on port 80 for HTTP requests and on port 443 for HTTPS requests. With the exact same configuration and certificate file, SSL works with Tomcat 5.5 but not with Tomcat 6. Everything else works without any flaws.

When I try to access the server using "https://myserver.com/"; in firefox, the error code "ssl_error_rx_record_too_long" appears. However, no errors are logged at all, although I set everything to ALL in the logging.properties file.

I even converted the PKCS12 certificate I use to JKS format but although keytool shows the certificate just fine, using the JKS keystore has the same effect.

I use the following connector settings in /opt/tomcat6/conf/server.xml:

    <Connector
      port="443"

      scheme="https"
      secure="true"
      clientAuth="false"

      sslProtocol="TLS"

      keystoreFile="/opt/tomcat6/conf/cert.p12"
      keystorePass="*************"
      keystoreType="pkcs12"

      maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
      maxThreads="150"
      minSpareThreads="25"
      maxSpareThreads="75"
      enableLookups="false"
      connectionTimeout="20000"
      disableUploadTimeout="true"
      acceptCount="100"
      />

Tomcat is run as root (for now at least), so permission problems should not occur. Of course /opt/tomcat6/conf/cert.p12 exists and is a valid certificate.

I would be extremely grateful if someone has an idea on how I could attempt to debug this strange problem.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Markus