thanks for your answers.

it's simple :

On the same physical host (server) we need to run two tomcat instance :

- one for the production
- the other for trainnning and testing

AND

we already have a script doing the deployement with ant , and this script is
managing just one instance , in one webapps location

the business wants to separate this 3 (or 4 or 5 ) tomcat instance in order
to have one JVM per application (out of memory ...rgggggg)

SO

1 - add instance management + various TCP/IP port (8080, 8081,8082 etc
....)  to our script ? and so multiplicate webapps folder .....

2 - use $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/appXX.xml pointing to one
location for ALL our application (in fact having an absolute path to  his
context Ex. /var/tomcat/contexts/<appXX>)  BUT having server.xml "docBase"
pointing to his own webapps (only with ROOT context, EX.
/opt/jakartaXXXX/webapps) ? and using ip alias in order to have "virtual
host" .... so keeping our script as now.

3 - ....

again , thankx for your precious advices