> From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:m...@as-guides.com]
> Subject: Re: tomcat 6.0.20 different instances with diff ips but same
> port no 80
>
> A server may have mulitple <Service> elements. Don't ask me why you'd
> want more than one <Service> elements [2] - because that's what I'd
> like to ask the experts. Anyone?

Seemed like a good idea at the time?  If you look inside Tomcat, you'll see
that it's a set of nested containers, with <Server> being the top one, and
<Service> the next layer.  You might want to use multiple <Service> elements if
you want to run a single JVM with independent servlet engines inside (think
embedded controller, where the number of processes is limited).

> (1) By dropping a copy in each of the different Host/@appBase?

This is probably the best, since it allows independent updating of the .war
file for each <Host>.

> (2) By having all three Host/@appBase point to the same location
>      (and then of course put the WAR there)?

This appears to work, but each <Host> will be monitoring the same locations for
changes (assuming autoDeploy is true), and there might be some timing issues.

> (3) By some other means?

By placing a second_world.xml file in each of the conf/Catalina/[host]
directories, with the <Context> element therein having a docBase attribute
pointing to the actual location of the .war file.  This is pretty much
equivalent to #2, except you can tailor the <Context> element for each <Host>,
if needed.

Regardless, your webapp will be deployed once for each <Host>.  If you don't
want that, just use a single <Host>, and let it field requests for all of
alpha, beta, and gamma.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.