On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Christopher
Schultz<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>On 8/31/2009 6:19 PM, Robert Whane wrote:
>> Okay, it's optional, so I don't HAVE to use, but if I DO use it, what
>> possible advantage does it have?
>
> Adherence to the Servlet Specification?

Which is what I indeed suspected what might be a possible function,
but as Martin Gainty has found in Tomcat's source, Tomcat absolutely
does not look at the resource-ref element. There's a digester rule
defined for it, but that's it. So even if you make a typo in any of
the data provided in the resource-ref element, Tomcat won't warn you
about it.

Maybe the documentation should very clearly state this, i.e.

"Note: the resource-ref element is totally ignored by Tomcat. You can
provide this element to be compatible with other servlet containers
that adhere strictly to the Servlet spec(*) Also note that because
Tomcat totally and utterly ignores the element, any faulty data
provided by you won't be detected by Tomcat. In other words, your
application may run perfectly on Tomcat, but fail on this other
servlet container since the errors you made were never detected by
Tomcat".