How do I remove HTTPS after login in ? I have read other posts. I still need
this thread as it has to do with JAAS on tomcat. Please read on. For the
hasty, jump to 9 onwards.

My UI stack is as follows :
* JSF 1.2, Facelets, Richfaces 3.2.1
* JAAS
* Tomcat 6

0. Relevant web.xml entries
        <security-constraint>
                <display-name>User Login Page</display-name>
                <web-resource-collection>
                        <web-resource-name>Login Resource</web-resource-name>
                        <url-pattern>/pages/secure/*</url-pattern>
                        <http-method>GET</http-method>
                        <http-method>POST</http-method>
                </web-resource-collection>
                <auth-constraint>
                        <role-name>User</role-name>
                </auth-constraint>
                <user-data-constraint>
                </user-data-constraint>
        </security-constraint>
        <login-config>
                <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
                <realm-name>projx</realm-name>
                <form-login-config>

<form-login-page>/pages/login/login.jsf</form-login-page>

<form-error-page>/pages/login/loginerror.jsf</form-error-page>
                </form-login-config>
        </login-config>

0.1 Login page :

                <rich:panel id="loginPanel">
                <f:facet name="header">Login Panel</f:facet>
                <f:verbatim>
                        <form method="post" action="j_security_check ">
name="j_username" /></td>
name="j_password" /></td>
                                                        <input type="submit"
value="Login"  />
                        </form>
                </f:verbatim>
                </rich:panel>

1. SSL Enabled Login page
2. Rest are non SSL-pages
3. JAAS Configured with some page requiring login (therefore fwd to SSL)
4. Homepage has 'Login' hyperlink -- which points to
-->/pages/secure/Userhomepage.jsf

Simple Login Usercase
------------------------
5. User clicks on 'Login' hyperlink

6. Tomcat CMA intercepts and takes user to /pages/login/login.jsf
   but URL shows
   https://localhost:8443/abc/pages/secure/Userhomepage.jsf

7. User keys in credentials and login is successful

8. Userhomepage.jsf http response is generated and shown on browser BUT URL
is still
   https://localhost:8443/abc/pages/secure/Userhomepage.jsf

Problem
---------

9. HTTPS should not be show from 8 onwards. How do I remove it ?

Questions
------------

10. I know that HTTPS has to be programattically removed. But between
    7 and 8, How do I do it ?
    a) Where do I put a URL rewrite filter code ? It won't even be invoked..

    b) How can I do it programmatically when the redirection is being
       done by Tomcat ?

On a side note (question on JAAS configured on Tomcat )

11. Why do I have to declare '/pages/secure/*' with
                <auth-constraint>
                        <role-name>User</role-name>
                </auth-constraint>
    ?
12. Why isn't there a way to just forward to login.jsf which forwards to
j_security_check ?

13. Is there a way to make Tomcat container aware of a JAASubject
    What I would really like is a Richfaces modal panel for a login ?

Such a simple use case has become really complicated. Instead of
flexibility,
across presentation layers, it's ties you down to a one mechanism.
Very frustrating.

Thank you !