I thought the Oracle JDBC driver allowed for all the nodes to be placed into the connect string and the driver was smart enough to detect failover. [So its a configuration exercise on the connection string.]

-Tim

Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
This is interesting topic.

IANA-failover-expert, but one question comes to my mind. What happens when the first server is recovered? Some cached connections will still point to second server, while newly created connections will go to the first one?

Is that acceptable?

Regards,
Ognjen

Bill Davidson wrote:
Tomcat 6.0.20 using DBCP DataSource
Java 1.6.0_16
Oracle 10g with RAC.

I've got two Oracle RAC nodes, mirroring each other. My current fail-over method if the primary node fails is to shut down the web servers, reconfigure them to use the secondary node and restart the web servers. Not pleasant.

I'm thinking I can make a "FailOverDataSource" that implements DataSource
and wraps around DataSource's for each of the two nodes.