I think you've misunderstood what maxWait does.  It tells the pool how
long to have your webapp code wait for a connection when all the
connections in the pool are busy servicing other requests (the pool is
exhausted).  Sounds to me like you've successfully received a
connection, are attempting a transaction and the transaction is hung up
somehow with a potential network issue.  I've not done any work with the
Oracle drivers so maybe someone else on the list has an idea?

--David

Roberto Benedetti wrote:
> hi everyone,
>   I'm having problems trying to combine Oracle and Tomcat: if I define
> a DB connection to a MySQL or Postgres resource, everything works fine
> and DB failures are properly detected.
> conversely, if I define an Oracle DataSource, apparently RDBMS or
> network problems are not detected and my application keeps waiting ad
> libitum, ignoring the "maxWait" parameter.
>
> my conf:
> <Context>
>     <Resource name="jdbc/myoracle"
>         auth="Container"
>         type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>         driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
>         url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:port:sid"
>         username="username"
>         password="********"
>         maxActive="2"
>         maxIdle="2"
>         maxWait="2000"/>
>     <!-- <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource> -->
> </Context>
>
> my environment:
> - apache-tomcat-6.0.20
> - jdk-1.6.0_14
> - ojdbc6.jar (2111220 bytes)
>
> is it a driver-specific issue?
> I couldn't find out any useful (i.e. pastable) hint. is tomcat+oracle
> such a rare combination?
>
> thanks in advance,
>   roberto

David Smith
Programmer/Analyst
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Cornell University
B32 Morrison Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone: (607) 255-4334