Thanks for your reply. I'll try DisableReuse on the next peak, although I read in http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/timeouts.html that:
For this you set "JkOptions +DisableReuse" in your Apache httpd configuration. This will have a huge negative performance impact!

Is there a possibility that there is a problem with the fact that I use:
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
  ServerLimit        1024
  MaxClients         1024

and default <Connector> settings?
<Connector port="8010" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" address="127.0.0.1" />

Do those 2 need to have the same thread count (MaxClients=maxThreads)?

thanks
Ioannis

Mark Thomas wrote:
John Cherouvim wrote:
Hello

I have a website which during peak time (peak lasts around ~4 hours with
14 pageviews/sec, 140 http requests/sec) starts to drop pageview requests.

My guess is that all of your Tomcat AJP threads are tied up with idle
httpd threads.

Try the following in your httpd.conf:
JkOptions     +DisableReuse

Mark