MartinOShea wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Setting testOnBorrow to true is something I'll try but according to:
>
> http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/configuration.html
>
> If testOnBorrow is set to true, the validation query must be set to a
> 'non-null string'. Presumably this means that the query must always return a
> value such as validationQuery = "select now()" always returning the date /
> time?

It just means that testOnBorrow does nothing if validationQuery is set to "".
For mysql "select 1" is sufficient and saves a call to now(). The Oracle
equivalent would be "select 1 from dual"

I just checked the dbcp source code and the criteria for the validation query is
that it must return at least 1 row with no exceptions being thrown.

Mark