Kresh,

On 10/2/2009 10:49 AM, Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
> Tomcat-wise, will there be any problems to accept slight differences in
> version? For example, is it okay if I use Apache 2.2.4 with Tomcat 6.0.20?
> And how about Tomcat connector? For example, is it possible to use Apache
> 2.0.63 while using mod_jk2-2.0.43.dll connector?

Generally speaking, minor versions within the same branch (like 6.0.13
versus 6.0.18 versus 6.0.20) should be compatible. Always be sure to
read the change log and/or release notes for the intervening versions
between the "approved" version and the one you intend to use to see if
any possible breaking-changes have been made. Usually, anything that
might break something has a configuration parameter that will set it
back to the old behavior.

I would take whatever version is recommended by the software vendor and
then move up to the latest point-release for that version. So, if Apache
httpd 2.2.4 is approved for your software, I would go ahead and use
2.2.13 (the latest in the 2.2 branch) or if 2.0.50 is approved, then go
ahead and use 2.0.63 (the latest in the 2.0 branch). The same can be
said for Tomcat: just get the latest point-release in the recommended
branch.

If you are using mod_jk, always get the latest version. Never install
mod_jk2 -- it's a dead project and has been (confusingly) replaced by
mod_jk (which appears to be a version "behind", but is in fact the
state-of-the-art for AJP connectors).

> As for newer version of connector, is it possible to use
> mod_jk-1.2.28-httpd-2.2.3.so?

It's best to use
mod-jk-[mod_jk version]-httpd-[matching-httpd-version].so

If you use httpd 2.2.13 and mod_jk-xyz-httpd-2.2.3.so, you may encounter
problems.

Actually, it's best to download the source code for mod_jk and build it
against your exact httpd version if that's a possibility for you.
Compiling mod_jk is trivial.

> It is an .so file, while I plan to deploy the
> Tomcat and Apache in Windows. On the other hand, I cannot find
> mod_jk-1.2.28-httpd-2.2.3.dll. There are other .dll files, but those are for
> IIS, while I plan to use Tomcat with Apache on Windows.

Yeah, the files in
http://mirrors.devlib.org/apache/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/win32/jk-1.2.28/
are called .so but they are appropriate for deployment on windows.