Hi Chuck,

That's a good point. First thing in the morning I will check out.

I know the basics of the Tomcat classloading principle. However, I'm trying
to imagine myself the situation where a duplication of a class leads to an
ClassNotFound error (It's quite ironic honestly :))

If I'm not wrong Tomcat loads it classes in the following order:

1. bootstrap
2. classpath classes
3. webapps classes/libs
4. common libs
5. shared libs

Let's say that my webapp uses a class that is both placed in web-inf/lib and
common/lib. According to the classloading order, the class that is in my
web-inf/lib should be loaded first. In which case I don't understand why my
webapp complains that it can't find the class...

The only thing I can think of is that my webapp's classloader loads class X
from web-inf/lib, and that this class is used by some other class in
common/lib.

Although, I don't think this is the case in my situation. Spring is only
used inside my webapp.

I'm probably overseeing something basic here, and would really appreciate it
if somebody could point me out what it is.

Thanks