I've recently had to upgrade from Tomcat5.5.20 to Tomcat5.5.27. For the main
functionality of the web application to work it needs to process a UTF8
encoded cookies to retrieve user customizations. There was no issue with the
5.5.20 version, but the 5.5.27 version is not processing the UTF8 encoded
cookie. It looks like 5.5.27 version is ignoring the UTF8 cookies.

I did find a bug report saying the security around cookie handling has
become stricter from Tomcat5.5.26 onwards. Could anybody point me in the
right direction of a spec that outlines the correct encoding to use on
cookies that Tomcat5.5.26 and greater will accept?