Tony,

On 10/6/2009 1:32 PM, Tony Anecito wrote:
> I am running JBoss and Apache on the same box so not sure if the
> TCP/IP stack is bypassed in that case.

It's not bypassed, but it skips a lot of steps and does sneaky things
like sharing send and receive buffers to dramatically reduce the
overhead when communicating with localhost (at least, decent *NIX TCP/IP
stacks do this... not sure about any others).

> What I am trying to do is find out where my bottlenecks are.

Tomcat itself is unlikely to be a bottleneck, except where Connectors
are concerned. There are several reasons why the connector/threads could
be a problem for you:

1. Your webapp is not responding quickly enough, resulting in a pileup
of requests. This is obviously not really Tomcat's fault.

2. You have lots of keepalive requests, and the client takes a long time
to send secondary requests. In this case, consider using the NIO
connector which doesn't allocate a request processing thread until a
request has actually been made.

3. You don't have enough request processing threads configured, and you
are simply experiencing more traffic than you expected. In this case,
your webapp is performing as expected (i.e. well) but you aren't getting
the throughput you expect because you are simply limited by your
available thread count.

If you could explain what you are observing, we might be able to steer
you toward a particular course of action.

> In my code I instrument the response time for my web service and I
> am below 1msec and if visualvm is right more like 20microseconds
> response time for the method exposed for my web service.

That sounds reasonable, especially if you aren't hitting a database or
you already have some data cached.

> At my Thick client over the lan I am seeing 3-5msec response time
> using JBoss 4.2.2.

So, instrumenting the client gives you 3-5msec for an observed overhead
of 2-4msec? Are you using SSL or anything like that? Still localhost?

> So trying to go from tier to tier to see how fast the tiers are and
> if there is anything else I can tune. I just updated to JBoss 5.1.0
> and am seeing 1msec slower or 4-5msec but have not tuned it yet
> except for jvm settings.

Hmm...

> I am using ajp for the connector. I plan to upgrade my Apache web
> server soon to the latest version hoping for performance improvement
> for the ajp connector.

If performance is what you're after, ditch httpd and go straight to
Tomcat. Do you have a requirement to use httpd our front?