>> I want to release my webapp first, then allow plugin authors to write
>> and load plugins at their leisure.
>
> Have you looked at the ServiceLoader API?

No, I hadn't, but I just tried it out. Cool! I like that it hides guts
like Class.forName(). Thanks!

However, it doesn't get around the issues I'm facing trying to allow
folks to easily write plugins for my webapp.

>  If the implementing class (in say impl.jar) is in myapp/WEB-INF/lib

But myapp/WEB-INF/lib is the exploded WAR dir, right? Folks generally
deploy our webapp on their own systems, so this means they'd have to
start up our app (Tomcat explodes the war), stop, copy impl.jar into
myapp/WEB-INF/lib, re-start. And can we count on Tomcat never blowing
away the exploded WAR dir?

Another option to get myapp/WEB-INF/lib is to include impl.jar (and
impl2.jar, impl3.jar) in our WAR, but we'd like to allow folks
deploying our webapp to write plugins, load, and unload them at their
leisure.