2009/10/15 Anand HS <anan...@gmail.com>:
> using "start" spawned the server start up in a new console where as "run"
> started in the same console.
>
> Other than this is there any obvious difference in using one or the other. ?

That has to be the only difference.

"catalina start" command is what is written in startup.(sh|bat)

There are cases, when configuration is broken, so that Tomcat cannot
start. In that case it might be that the secondary console window will
close immediately, and the user won't be able to see the error message
that was printed there.

If that occurs, our first advice is to try "catalina run" so to be
able to see the error message.

That is why the option is there,  I think.

By the way, it is not necessary to use catalina.(bat|sh) at all. The
command line that starts java using bootstrap.jar is that what matters
in the end. I think you can figure the rest by yourself.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko