> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Can a JNDI resource be in a webapp's lib folder
>
> Hmm... I didn't realize that. I didn't know that the servlet spec
> mandated JNDI behavior "above" the webapp level.

I don't think it's the servlet spec itself that does that; rather, it's the
interaction of that with the JNDI spec.  You start off with a new
InitialContext(), and go from there - so by default, everything is global.
There doesn't appear to be anything preventing use of local contexts (created
via the InitialContext(Hashtable environment) constructor), but the servlet
spec doesn't mention it.  The servlet spec does contain this somewhat
contradictory statement:

"The name is a JNDI name relative to the java:comp/env context and must be
unique within a web application."

Unfortunately, java:comp/env is global, so the JNDI name must also be unique
/across/ web applications.  I suppose it would be possible to create a separate
java:comp/env context for each webapp, but Tomcat doesn't do that (I don't know
if anyone does).

> Is this made more explicit anywhere else?

Not that I've found.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.