On 20/10/2009 21:01, George Sexton wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ULS Tech Support [mailto:tech_supp...@uls.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:35 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.59 with jTDS, and SQL Server 2005

From: "Pid"<p...@pidster.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:19 PM
To: "Tomcat Users List"<users@tomcat.apache.org>

1. Is there a particular barrier to using the official MS driver?  (I
am
wincing as I ask).
http://jtds.sourceforge.net/index.html
As quoted:

Why use jTDS?

jTDS is free software. jTDS is released under the terms of the GNU
LGPL,

Free is over-rated, when you're connecting it to a proprietary db. If you
want free, use PostgreSQL.

giving you not only the posibility to debug and tweak it to your own
liking
but also to use it in and distribute it with your free or commercial
applications.

You can't distribute the DB itself, so why worry about distributing a driver for it?

If an end-user has to install & configure the DB, configuring a driver should be less problematic, by comparison.

The other "free" choices, the JDBC-ODBC bridge and Microsoft's own JDBC
driver are not actually free. If you encounter an issue with any of
them you
won't be able to fix it yourself and response times from both Microsoft
and

This doesn't look like a Tomcat problem anymore, it looks like a jTDS problem.

With respect, your options would seem to be to the afore-mentioned "fix it yourself" or a follow up in that community for an interpretation of what is going wrong.

Sun are anything but short. Also, both of them lack functionality (the
Microsoft driver implements JDBC 2.0, while the bridge is just a JDBC
1.0

That may have been true at one time, but the current drivers are JDBC3 and
JDBC4 compliant.

Which is what I found on the MS site, after a cursory look. Try the official driver and see if there's a technical problem with that.

I have never had a problem with Microsoft's JDBC drivers. They work fine.

The people that have really bad drivers are Oracle. Their drivers are
horrible.

implementation) and have serious stability problems: the bridge crashes
the
JVM if the ODBC driver has any problem and Microsoft just has no
intention
of really supporting Java/JDBC.

That's just not true now. MS has full support for JDBC that works well.

It sounds to me like this site is filled with hyperbola and outdated
information.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/