And Andre said it much more classily.  Thanks Andre.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Janner [mailto:jeffrey.jan...@polydyne.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Subdomains and Wars...

<Rant>
OK time to pick nits here!

I really wish folks would quit referring to these things as subdomains -
they're not!  They are hostnames!  Only if I can type
marco.polo.explorer.org is polo.explorer.org a subdomain.  Otherwise,
it's a host.  Plain and simple.  I don't care what some idiot trying to
sell nothing for something tells you.

It really helps things on this list if we all agree to use the correct,
specified terminology to avoid confusion.  That terminology has been
worked out over years to avoid confusion and so we are all conversing
with common terms for specific concepts.

These are spelled out in various approved documents like RFCs, Servlet
Specs, etc.  Please read them.

I think this is about the 4th time this week I've seen the topic come up
and it's gotten really annoying. Even this post generated over 20

Now if someone can find me an "official" definition of this use of the
term subdomain, I'll retract this rant. (And no, The Google, Yahoo, and
GoDaddy aren't official sources.)
</Rant>

Jeff
p.s. Yes, I'm well aware that I occasionally use non-spec terminology.
I'm working on it.
p.p.s. Am I wrong, but shouldn't it be spelled "sub-domain"?