Yes, but the code for the AardvarkResourceException is a little strange.

public class AardvarkResourceException extends Exception {

    //TODO: eventually change this to a logging exception
    public AardvarkResourceException() {
    }

    public AardvarkResourceException(String message) {
        super(message);
    }

    public AardvarkResourceException(Throwable cause) {
        super(cause);
    }

    public AardvarkResourceException(String message, Throwable cause) {
        super(message, cause);
    }
}

I could just throw the error and not worry about the custom
ResourceException.  I don't understand the added value of this class.  I
think the other dev was trying to get fancy instead of using the time he had
wisely.