Hi,
This is how we start tomcat from ant. ${server} is your tomcat installation
directory. Then we have a condition on a URL, so we know tomcat actually
starts and handling HTTP requests.

<java jar="${server}/bin/bootstrap.jar" fork="true" spawn="true"
dir="${server}/bin">
    <jvmarg value="-Dcatalina.home=${server}" />
    <arg line="start" />
 </java>

Notice the startup folder and catalina home argument. This is to avoid
conflicts with other tomcat installations that may be on the system.