From: Pid [...@pidster.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 November 2009 12:51 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Secure login only, not rest of app

On 10/11/2009 13:25, Robert Denison wrote:
> Thanks peter,
>
> Don't suppose anyone can point me to any documentation that talks about
> getting caching working properly for tomcat and static content can they?

It's not so much a case of Tomcat, unfortunately your app is also
affected by browser type, config, version etc.

Tomcat should handle serving static resources perfectly well, but you
can augment it if needed by employing a Filter that adds headers for
matching files/requests.

Checking the HTTP Headers that are actually being sent & received by the
major browsers is an essential step in tuning your app.  Your access log
will show if files are being returned with HTTP 304 status or not.

Firefox has LiveHTTPHeaders and Firebug, IE has a plugin tool too.

I thought of an alternative, you could only enforce container based
security on a specific path "/login/".

Your Filter could redirect all unauthenticated users to the login app,
the index page (after successful login) just redirects to the app homepage.

  if (logged in) {
    if (https) goto http
  } else {
    redirect to "/login" // tomcat takes care of the HTTPS upgrade
  }