From: peter.crowth...@googlemail.com
[mailto:peter.crowth...@googlemail.com] On Behalf Of Peter Crowther
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:39 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: FW: Tomcat 6.0.20 Causes Kernel Crash on Linux

2009/11/18 Amol Wate (awate) <aw...@cisco.com>

> Are there any known memory issues with tomcat 6.0.20 ? This build
> causes a kernel panic on my linux box with Java 5. I'd been using
> 6.0.18 without any issues on the same configuration.
>
> http://markmail.org/message/mrpgvn4mqvyrq64a reports a memory leak,
> though I don't have enough debugs to say it matches mine. All I have
is:

>    BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual
> address 00000000
>    printing eip:
>    c05d9144
>    *pdpt = 000000002db52001
>    *pde = 0000000000000000
>    Oops: 0000 [#1]
>
> This problem is consistently reproducible on 6.0.20, and magically
> disappears upon switching back to 6.0.18. What am I missing ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Timir
>
> I suspect you're missing either a working Linux kernel, or working
> hardware
:-).  6.0.20 is stable on a wide variety of OSs and hardware; something
about yours is causing problems.  Tomcat is not an unusual process - it
doesn't expect anything in particular out of the OS or kernel, as it has
to be so portable - so I'd contend that a kernel panic is indicative of
problems outside Tomcat.

1) Are you *certain* the hardware is solid?  Have you run memory testers
etc across it?  What is it, anyway, as you haven't told us?

2) Are you *certain* your Linux kernel is solid?  What is it, anyway, as
you haven't told us?

Also, what JVM and are you using anything other than pure Java code (do
you have tcnative installed, do you make any JNI calls, etc)?

- Peter