Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Bruce Foster [mailto:gis.fos...@gmail.com]
Subject: Newbie, tomcat performance tuning

Can you guide me where and what parameters that  I can tweak in tomcat
to get high performance? for eg, JVM memory, threads, etc etc

Other than the number of threads in the <Connector> pool, there's not much you
can set in Tomcat that will have any effect on a webapp that's CPU-intensive.  The
biggest contributor will be the overall architecture of your webapp, followed by the
implementation itself.  For the former, you mostly have to insure that you're not
doing the same thing multiple times unnecessarily; for the latter, use a profiler to
determine what areas are the most heavily used and optimize those.  Can't really
provide any specifics until you instrument the webapp.

One thing you can do is run a 1.6 JVM, since that is measurably faster
(usually) than 1.5.  Of course, make sure it's a 64-bit JVM, since you're on a
64-bit platform.

 - Chuck

And set it to run the server-mode jvm rather than the client. This makes a BIG difference IME.