Rainer,

On 11/20/2009 12:39 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 20.11.2009 18:08, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Rainer,

>>> Quick partial answer before I read and understand everything: mod_jk
>>> will log full packets with JkLogLevel trace. Debug truncates the logged
>>> data.
>>
>> Okay, that sounded familiar. I'll turn on trace and get my eyes ready
>> for a long day :)
>>
>> In the meantime, it does look like mod_jk intends to send the whole
>> certificate chain over to Tomcat. Am I doing this right?
>
> I would say yes.

Okay, good. Thanks for the confirmation that it looks like I'm doing
what I should be doing.

> What I'm not so sure about is the root certificate. The
> root should be owned by the web server, otherwise the whole validation
> is useless.

Absolutely. In my case, the client has been provided with all 4 certs
(Root, Signing Root, Signing Sub, and Client itself). I haven't sniffed
the HTTP stream to see what's being sent by the client. If you have a
suggestion for how to sniff an SSL stream, I'm all ears :)

> So I don't know, whether all certs including the root should
> be forwarded, or only all except the root.

It appears that mod_jk is prepared to send all but the root certificate.
I can live with that, because I'm expecting to use the root cert on the
server to do the validation :) What I'm /not/ using right now is a
keystore: I just have the bare, PEM-encoded root certificate that's
being read by my test JSP file attached to my original post.

> You can log those env vars in the access log using the %{xxx}e
> notation (xxx being the name of the var) to check, whether httpd shows
> all of the chain, or only all except the root.

I think I'll go ahead and to that. But, I'll read your other 42 posts
before I do :)

> I can try to dig into
> httpd code to understand it as well.

Thanks for all your help, Rainer.

> Why you do not get a chain and instead only one cert is still open.

Yup. This is my only real question.

Thanks,