On 24/11/2009 09:47, TheGrailer wrote:

Hi,

Im pretty new to this but have 2 friends that help me out. Though one of my
friends tells me to use Apache2 infront of Tomcat and the other one tells me
it's unnecessary.

Single server?  Tomcat alone is just fine.

I'll try to explain my situation:
I've started a virtual Ubuntu 8.04 Longterm server and my goal is to have
atleast one serious site (made in Grails) and beeing a search engine (think
youtube). So it's gonna be pretty much dynamic content and less static. But
I will also start some sites just for fun that probobly won't have that much
visitors but beeing abit more static content.

You said "static", which I'd guess means that you've had the somewhat out of date "Apache HTTPD is faster at serving static content" conversation.

Im not saying my primary site will get much visitors but I want to build the
environment as if it has.
Ps. I will probobly put a Varnish at the front sooner or later (for the
experience)

So what do you all think? Is the Apache2 infront of the Tomcat 6 a waste of
time or worth while?

Well, if you look at it from the point of view that HTTPD + Connector + Tomcat is a longer codepath, then it ought to be less performant to use both, no?

Tomcat comes with a library called APR, which is the the same code library that Apache HTTPD uses. Install that & Tomcat is as fast as its sibling, simply by dint of the fact that they use the same code.

I'd love to have as many inputs as possible!

I'd hazard a(n educated) guess that the comments will be largely one sided from this list.