Hi,
 Thanks for the great advice.

On placing singletons etc in jar libraries in tommcat /lib directory,
that would be a very simple hack that could keep code pretty much as is.
Thank you for that suggestion, it may well be a runner, I didnt think
that was possible.

In terms of fronting everything with apache, I am currently doing this
already via mod_jk (loadbalancing to 2 tomcats), although I might use
mod_proxy_ajp in future as it is now bundled with apache2.  However, I
could not find any viable implementation for form based authentication,
although there is one in the pipeline but may not be available in a
stable form for many months to come. That was a big disappointment!

Many thanks,
Tony

Peter Crowther wrote:
> 2009/12/1 Anthony Jay <anthony...@fastmail.fm>:
>> As for cross application communication I will have to revisit our own
>> code to see if there are static/singleton services that can be
>> re-engineered and decoupled.
>
> This may be one of the few appropriate times where you may want to put
> code for the singletons (and all the classes that might be referenced
> by your singletons) in common/lib.  It's not an ideal solution, but it
> may save you considerable effort as those classes will then be loaded
> by a single classloader, rather than the per-webapp classloaders.

Or then, this may be a case where you want to explore front-ending these
applications with an Apache httpd server, linked to Tomcat via an AJP
connector.
There is considerably more flexibility in Apache httpd regarding AAA
(since for one it is not bound by the servlet spec), and once a request
is authenticated, Apache and the connector will happily pass this
authenticated id to Tomcat.  And you would have to change nothing to
your servlet-engine side code, singletons and all.