Thank you for all the replies.

I upgraded the httpd server to the latest CentOS version which is:
Name   : httpd
Arch   : x86_64
Version: 2.2.3
Release: 31.el5.centos.2

I also did a custom compile of modjk.

The problem persist despite these changes and is not related to only restarts
but persists even if the httpd service is completely stopped and then started
again.

We do not see the problem on a similar configured httpd server with only 5
workers which seems to corroborate the 8 worker threshold.

If there is any debugging scripts or log files that I can attach to the
bugzilla then please let me know and I will happily do so.

Regards