> From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: [OT - question] Limit user sessions in tomcat
>
> It would seem that there ought to be some low-level response-direction
> socket flag that should be available, to tell whether the receiving end
> has gone, without actually having to send anything from a higher-level
> code module.  But getting to that low-level socket data does not seem
> to be so easy in Java, is it ?

It's not hard in Java (Socket.getRemoteSocketAddress() or Socket.isConnected()
should work), but there's nothing in the servlet spec that allows a servlet
thread to obtain for that information.  Ideally, the container (Tomcat) would
asynchronously monitor the socket status and set some flag in the Request
object for the webapp code to examine at its leisure.  Might also be able to
implement this with a new form of listener.

I haven't looked at the Servlet 3 spec to see if anything is in there for this
rather common problem.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.